An exercise in self-deprecating humor. Not to be taken too seriously.
After planning the perfect escape I had to make one of the most imperfect comebacks...this is a true account of my life as it is now in Staten Island


Search This Blog

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Flash Fiction Story # 6 - Monologue of a Friendly Coworker

"I do despise her with the deepest devotion. I enjoy my abhorrence for her immensely. Each morning as I walk into the office I complete the self assigned task of glimpsing towards her direction , never more then three seconds, quickly recounting the numerous and immaterial reasons that have brought me to the current state of loathing her very existence, so utterly and so completely, that it now brings me joy to feel this way towards her. I remember the very first time I heard her voice, how that dreary, unexciting, droning voice of hers sliced open my very soul and wits, and how ever since then she has become the one and only reason that I have stayed in this job, a job that has offered me no future and that has effectively buried all of my potentials. I now have been informed that we shall sit closer to each other, a piece of information that when it had reached my ears produced in me so much joy that I was brought to tears.
When I observe her I feel as if I have come across something very foreign and unfamiliar, a thing that is worthy of the time I spend studying and observing it. I smile at her often, knowing that it is the only effective way to communicate the disgust I have towards her. When she happens to approach me with one request or the other, I make sure to shut off anything and everything that might be going on around me, and sit and listen to her with my utmost focus. There are times when my other coworkers will express the dislike they have for her, something that distresses me greatly since I know for a fact that any negative feelings others might have towards her can be nothing but amateur attempts on something that frankly needs great skills. One day one of our customers had reduced her to tears, and I of course was the only one to comfort her reassuring her that she is one of the finest and most skilled employees my company has under it’s employment. I was not lying. A lie might have proven to be detrimental; it might have caused her to feel insecure and inadequate, which in turn might have caused her to quit this job. I suppose this sentiment I have towards her has affected my otherwise normal life in many different ways. For example, I can not imagine my self being surrounded by people that are friendly towards me for more than a couple of hours. This is also the reason I have stopped visiting my family so often for we are far too loving and pleasant towards each other. I have often been asked what is the point of devoting such energy into cultivating such a negative feeling, and only recently have I realized that I do not care to look into the reasons behind my inclinations however peculiar they might seem to others. All in all, I consider myself to be a fortunate and happy person because of all this."

No comments:

Post a Comment