An exercise in self-deprecating humor. Not to be taken too seriously.
After planning the perfect escape I had to make one of the most imperfect comebacks...this is a true account of my life as it is now in Staten Island


Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"When I grow up I want to be..."


When I was 14 years of age, my father, who looks like he came right out of a Tennessee Williams play, took me on a stroll and sat down with me in a small café by a fine-looking lake that surrounded the city we then lived in. As I was drinking my orange soda he looked at me straight in the eyes and asked me the following question: “Norma, what is your dream, everyone has a dream, everyone must have a dream! So I ask you what is your dream?” So, being 14 and despite my ignorance, my instinct told me that this was a question that had to be answered with the utmost seriousness “An actress dad. I have decided that I will be an actress.” “Good Norma, I have forgotten to tell you that does not count as a dream”, he then proceeded to tell me. “Alright then” I answered him “I will be the first person in my country to open the most extraordinary coffee shop-it will be a coffee shop where people will be allowed to smoke marijuana. And because I have figured out that even by that time people will still be ashamed of being seen entering a coffee shop like that, I will have secret doors and tunnels where people could come in and out of without being seen. But! But! What will make my coffee shop SUPER special is that it will have more than 30 rooms, all with different designs in it. For example, there will be a jungle room, a playground room for adults, a modern art room, a cave room and all kinds of rooms and all of them private, so people can go sit in them with their friends and smoke their marijuana. On top of all this, every room will have it’s own private waitress, and all the waitresses will sign confidentiality agreements so if a famous person comes in they wont tell anyone. I think it’s a good business idea, but we might need a lot of money in order to succeed. Do you think by then marijuana will be legalized?” I don’t remember much else from that day other than my father informing me that perhaps being an actress might count as a dream after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment